Spring 2009 Season
Here are some figures
· Over 2400 games for the spring season
· 167 teams with coaching conflicts X 9 = 1503 ÷ 2 =751.5 games (up 27 teams from last season and 121 games)
· Out of 751.5 games there are ZERO direct conflicts (ex. Team A plays at 1:00pm and Team B plays at 1:00pm). This is amazing considering the number of games and conflicts
· 288 requests for Saturdays this does not include coaching conflicts or state cup (additional 114 requests from fall)
· 270 Sunday requests (not including coaching conflicts) (additional 154 requests from fall)
· 248 teams asked for 2 days off (additional 138 requests from fall)
Coaching conflicts was very difficult this season for the reasons listed above. The number of games with a TBD (no field or time) was approximately 60. Approximately another 450 more games were changed because of coaching conflicts and field changes.
In the past, WAGS did not begin games for the younger age groups (U-12 and under) prior to 12:00pm on Sundays. This has become impossible because of the coaching conflicts and other requests. Coaches may have as many as three (3) conflicts because of the time that the fields open and the lack of daylight.
If a coach has 1 -3 conflicts, we did our best. If they have 4 or more conflicts, submitted a coaching conflict request, and (if applicable) attended the Mandatory Coach Meeting to all U-9 Coaches as well as any coach coaching a new team in WAGS) have them contact me. As for drive time, we tried to give them 1 hour, however if they got ½ hour, or no drive time, that was the best we could do.
There are no games in WAGS beginning prior to 9:00am on Saturday or Sunday.
Please review the web site regarding state cup and high school soccer conflicts.
Reminder: Field requirement: 1 field for every 4/5 WAGS/NCSL teams.
CLUB REPS ONLY – no managers/coaches are to call and close fields.
- Fields must be closed 3 hours prior to game time. (in rules)
- Contact WAGS immediately , no later than three hours prior to kickoff of the first game on the field (8:00am game – call WAGS no later than 5:00am)
- When closing a field, the club rep may give us additional Saturday field dates and times. This must be given to us when the field is closed not the next day. We have games rescheduled almost immediately.
- Contact your teams – they must call their opponents immediately.
- WAGS hotline number is for team primary contacts only. The number is on the team page. Teams are not to give the number to their parents.
As Kathie mentioned at the January meeting, clubs will be receiving rebates for teams who participated in the league for the fall 2008 season. The checks were distributed at the rolling meetings in MD and VA.
There are 3 stamps/team in each club envelope with the check. The postage increase will go into effect on May 11th. We chose 3 stamps because we took the average of the teams in the league who play 2-3 home games May 10-June 7th. Please have your teams inform you how many stamps (2 cent) they need. One team may only need one stamp (1 home game after 5/10) while another team may need 4 (4 home games after 5/10).
There will be a Mandatory Meeting for all NEW team managers for existing WAGS teams as well as for all teams entering the league from the wait list for the spring 2009 season and teams in the U-9/U-13 age group and U-18/U-19 age group who did not participate in WAGS for the fall. This meeting will be held on Saturday, March 21st at the McLean Community Center from 12-3pm. Directions are on our web site.